CULTURE
Culture

The great role that the wider region has played in the history of our country, is still evident today in various parts of the land in order to develop and promote culture.

The Municipality as a whole and each municipal unit separately highlight their special characteristics, creating at the same time a single collective cultural identity. 

Active cells of the cultural heritage of the land, inextricably linked to the historical memory, are the following:

Museum of National Resistance of Koryschades

The historic, stone-built, listed monument once functioned as a school.  It went down in history when in May 1944 the Political Committee of National Liberation, also known as the mountain government, held its first national council for national resistance. With the participation of 176 National Councillors from across Greece, it was here that the resolution was approved, as well as the fundamental truth that “ All powers derive from the people and are exercised by the people”.

A monument reminiscent of this historic day stands in the courtyard. On the ground floor of the museum there is a library with a remarkable book collection while the upper floor houses a photography exhibition with rich material by the resistance photographer Spyros Meletzis, who has captured the process of the historic National Council and other images from the action of fighters. In the museum you will see, among other things, murals of heroes of the resistance and of heroes of the 1821 Greek War of Independence, created for historical and symbolic reasons.

Folklore Museum of Megalo Chorio

An old stone mansion, houses plenty of exhibits divided into three levels, all generously offered by the locals. In the first level room you can learn about the traditional professions of the area and their equipment, as well as various everyday utensils.

The second level is dominated by the clock from belfry of the village, which continuously counted the hours from 1926 to 1988. A silent witness of history, it bears the marks from the bullets of the Germans. In this sense, it is rather ironic that it was made in Germany and maybe that was the reason why the Germans stopped shooting in the village as soon as they found out.  At this level there is also a multi-purpose hall, as well as two room representations of a typical home of Megalo Chorio.

On the third level you will see the traditional costumes of the area, as well as folk art items, such as embroidery and textiles. At this level there is also a library, featuring more than 5000 titles, rare editions and manuscripts.  The exhibits also include letters sent by locals to their families before they were executed by the Italians in 1942.

History and Folklore Museum of Mikro Chorio

The Museum is housed in a building that used to be a primary school and its exhibit collections inform visitors about the life and work of the people of Mikro Chorio and of their contribution to the struggles of the Nation. Exhibits are sorted chronologically and include historical documents, rich photographic material, images from the German occupation, the chronicle of the historical battle of Mikro Chorio, remnants of the National Resistance printing house, as well as household – agricultural equipment, etc.

The manuscripts of locals, original descriptions in the years of war and of peace, are truly invaluable. In the Multi-purpose Hall plays a video with a brief review of the main phases of development of the village.

The library of the museum has books by people of Mikro Chorio, Evrytania, as well as books about the area, while a museum shop operates at the entrance. Next to the Folklore Museum, in the school garden, stand the busts of Ioannis Zorbalopoulos, fighter of the 1821 Greek War of Independence, and of Georgios E. Papadis, the first teacher from Mikro Chorio.

National Resistance Monument of Domnista

On 7 June 1942, from Domnista, Aris Velouchiotis declares the armed struggle of the National Resistance against the Germans. In this way, the humble village was written in gold letters in the pages of modern history. It is Domnista that he chose for the first public appearance of the National Liberation Front and the official proclamation of the Liberation Revolution.

The start was made and small Domnista was rightly characterized as the new “Agia Lavra” 1941-1944. Today, on the hill outside the village, the monument of the National Resistance is the pride of the village and every first Sunday of June, the glorious memories of the past are revived in the commemorative event!

Monument in Kefalovrysso

In August 1823, a battle took place in the historic village, when Markos Botsaris decided to stop the Turks advancing to Messolonghi.

However, the village was meant to link its name with the death of the great fighter of the Greek Independence war, who died in battle.

Two monuments have been built in the village in his honour.

Monument in Kokkalia, Krikello village

Kokkalia was the location where an ancient battle took place between Gauls and Greeks. In 279 BC, the Gauls led by Brennus II, after their invasion to Macedonia and Thessaly and aiming at the oracle of Delphi, attacked the Greeks in the Narrow Pass of Thermopylae.  The Gauls, however, were forced to retreat temporarily so that they may send part of their army to Aetolia, in order to weaken the Greek defence, thus forcing many of the Greeks who were fighting at Thermopylae to return and defend their homelands.

The greatest disasters and atrocities were experienced by the modern village of Klafsi (i.e. “Weeping”), which took its name from the sobbing of those who survived.  When the Gauls decided to return to Thermopylae, they passed through Kokkalia (i.e. “Bones”) where they fought for days on end with the Evrytanians. According to tradition, the area took its name from the bones of the defeated Gauls.  For many years there were countless human bones scattered on the ground of this area. In commemoration of this fierce battle, at the point where the enemy was defeated, a pointed monument was built, with the simple inscription “279 BC – LED BY EVRYTANIAN AETOLIANS the Gauls suffered a crushing defeat”. Pausanias described the bloody invasion of the Gauls in his work “Description of Greece”.

Mountain Museum of Karpenisi

The first and only mountain museum in Greece, could not be anywhere else than Karpenisi. Housed in a stone building, it materialised thanks to the donations of friends and athletes who have excelled in mountaineering and other mountain sports. Here visitors will learn about the history of mountaineering and skiing, while viewing remarkable exhibits, such as objects from the first Greek Mission that conquered the highest peak in the world.

The Museum has two floors. On the ground floor visitors can see the exhibits as well as plenty of photographs, get information about various alternative activities, such as activities and sports in rivers and gorges, and about living on the mountains. The first floor is available for screening films and documentaries as well as for reading. 

Agios Leonidis

The basilica of Agios Leonidis, a great early Christian monument of the 5th century AD, is found to the west of the village Klafsi. A total of eight inscriptions indicate that the church is dedicated to the martyr Leonidis. In the autumn of 1956, heavy rainfall revealed the unknown – till then – monument and its impressive mosaic, much of which is preserved inside the church.

It is decorated with familiar patterns, as well as patterns usually found in Egypt. Furthermore, ancient burials were also found under the floor. To protect the mosaic, a replica of the basilica was built with stone walls that followed the traces of the old church, while a wooden roof was placed and a more suitable one will replace it in the future.

Folklore Museum of Aspropyrgos

The museum is located in the village centre, in a traditional building and is a work of the Association of Aspropyrgos “O AGIOS GEORGIOS” for preserving and promoting local folk tradition.

On its two floors, visitors will see chronological samples of household, agricultural, livestock and military equipment, photographs and archival material, clothing, embroidery and authentic costumes of the people of Aspropyrgos All the above were donated by members and friends of the Association.