This is a land full of history, that has offered a lot to our country.
In antiquity, Karpenissi was known as Oechalia and ruled by king Evrytos, who was an excellent archer and also the inventor of the bow.
Legend has it that he challenged god Apollo to a competition, which cost him his life. Evrytos’ son, Ifitos, gave his father's bow to Odysseus and it was with that bow that he killed Penelope's suitors.
In the Byzantine Period, there was a settlement as well as religious activity in the area, as revealed by the remains of a 6th century basilica found in the old site of Karpenissi. At the same time, while the entire Evritania was officially a dominion of the Byzantine Empire, it was not included in its tax lists because of its insubordinate inhabitants. And while the rest of Greece was accountable to the Byzantines, the people of Evritania enjoyed their autonomy. It was the time when the entire area became known as Agrafa.
During the Turkish rule the inhabitants participated in the uprising of 1600 and 1611. Eugenios Giannoulas founded his famous school here, with the aim of creating a national identity, thus transforming Karpenissi into an important cultural centre in the period 1645 to 1661, despite the adverse conditions of the time. In 1684, Armatolos Livinis revolted against the Turks, gaining an important victory near the village of Goliani. Karpenissi was subsequently looted by the Venetians and following the Treaty of Karlowitz it passed again to the Ottoman rule.
Karpenissi, played a key role in the revolution of 1821. Its location was of strategic importance for central Roumeli, which is why the Turks were holding on to it. The Revolution in Karpenissi was proclaimed by the local captains of the Gioldasis family and Vraskas, but were eliminated by Turkish troops. However, the rebels regrouped and drove the Turks out of the city. Near Karpenissi, at Kefalovryso, renowned fighter Markos Botsaris known for his action in the area was killed on 9 August 1823, fighting the Turks.
In recent years, Karpenissi took part in WW I and II. The armed National Resistance started in Karpenissi, in the spring of 1942, by Aris Velouchiotis, who, in a gesture to honour the place and the proud Velouchi, adopted it as his surname: Velouchiotis. On Sunday, 7 June 1942, the National Liberation Front made its first official appearance under the leadership of Aris Velouchiotis in Domnista. With ongoing struggles and courage, they managed to drive the Germans out, but then the entire area of Tymphristos and Evritania sank into the darkness of the Civil War. On 20 January 1949, there was an attack and guerrillas occupied Karpenissi for 18 days. The end of the Civil War, in 1949 found Karpenissi – as well as the rest of Greece – faced with incalculable damage.